$333.4M to Turner for New Fort Benning HospitalSep 30, 2009 12:04 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
Turner Construction Co. in Huntsville, AL won [PDF] a $333.4 million firm-fixed-price contract to design and build a 745,000-square-foot hospital at Fort Benning, GA, almost 2 times the size of the current 393,000 square-foot facility.
With 70 in-patient beds, the new hospital will serve soldiers, military retirees, and families of the Fort Benning community. The design is split into 2 wings – a clinic and a hospital section, equipped with 2 parking decks for patients and staff members…
Design and construction is likely to begin shortly after the US Army Corps of Engineer Savannah District issues a notice-to-proceed in October and will span 1,200 calendar days. An estimated completion date is set for summer 2013. The project is the Savannah District’s largest contract award in fiscal year 2009.
The location of the new hospital was changed from the existing hospital site to a location a half-mile away in order to alleviate parking issues and allow for a faster construction schedule, noted project engineer Alan Bugg. The future of the existing hospital, now more than 50 years old, is yet to be determined.
Fort Benning is a US Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) installation. It is located south of Columbus, GA, and has an active duty population of 34,834. This includes both reserve components. Fort Benning covers 181,626 acres of land with 93% in west central Georgia and the remaining 7% in east central Alabama.
The new hospital project is funded with $278 million DHP military construction funding and $125 million of Army BRAC funds, for a total of $403 million. Turner expects to complete construction by May 25/13. For the contract, 3 bids were solicited with 3 bids received by the US Army Corps of Engineer Savannah District, GA (W912HN-09-C-0045).