Rapid Fire 2011-02-23: SITE, NETCENTSFeb 22, 2011 21:45 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
- Electromagnetic pulse gun developed by Swiss research institute EPFL could be used to explode IEDs remotely.
- Looks like Brazil won’t be buying any new fighters in 2011.
- Belgium’s defense spending is expected to grow at a modest 1.76% per year, reaching $3.7 billion by 2015. Also, the Wallonia regional government comes under fire for approving FN Herstal’s sale of EUR 6.9 million worth of rifles, machine guns and ammunition to Libya.
- US Drug Enforcement Agency sting nails a Taliban-linked drug and weapon smuggling ring, whose price list reportedly included Stinger anti-aircraft missiles and Javelin anti-armor missiles.
- Defense Intelligence Agency awards 2 task orders worth $350 million to BAE Systems for IT support under the agency’s $6.6 billion SITE contract vehicle.
- Telos said it received $265 million worth of IT task orders for FY 2010 under the $9 billion NETCENTS contract.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s LGS subsidiary receives a $22.2 million Army delivery order to upgrade the communications infrastructure at Redstone Arsenal in Alabama.
- CACI snags $44 million in task orders to support the DoD’s Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO) under its $494 million JIEDDO Comprehensive Support Services (CSS) contract.
- Aura gets order to provide power systems for the USCG’s Response Boat-Medium (RB-M) vessel, part of a contract awarded to Manitowoc Marine Group to provide 250 RB-M boats for $600 million.
- Thailand receives its 1st set of 6 JAS-39C/D Gripen fighters.
- Afghanistan’s 10th upgraded C-27A light transport plane lands in Kabul.
- Embraer unveils the 1st modified EMB-145 AEW&C airframe for use by the Indian DRDO in its indigenous Tier 2 AEW&C program.
- Israeli/American Arrow system test successfully intercepts ballistic missile.
Categories: ABM, Africa - Other, Americas - Other, Ammunition, Asia - Other, BAE, Coastal & Littoral, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, Delivery & Task Orders, Electronics - General, Europe - Other, Fighters & Attack, Guns - Personal Weapons, Industry & Trends, Israel, Issues - International, IT - General, IT - Networks & Bandwidth, Legal, Mines & Countermine-IED, Missiles - Anti-Armor, Missiles - Surface-Air, Other Corporation, R&D - Contracted, Specialty Aircraft, Transport & Utility, University-related, USA