Rapid Fire 2011-03-24: F-22s Sit Libya OutMar 23, 2011 21:32 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
- Why no F-22As over Libya?
- If you have complaints about low-flying RAF aircraft, there’s one country that seems to be missing from the official complaints page.
- Want a Type 42 air defense destroyer? Or just an SAS combat smock? Britain’s Disposal Services Authority may be the place for you.
- Germany upgrades Afghan contingent with more protected vehicles, other supplies – to include Marder 1A5 IFVs.
- Russian naval strike aircraft will be reassigned to Russian Air Force by the end of 2011. Naval strike aircraft include Tu-22M3 Backfire long-range bombers, MiG-31 Foxhound interceptors, Su-27 Flanker fighter jets, and Su-24 Fencer attack aircraft.
- ATK snags $49 million US Navy contract to produce 5.56mm and 7.62mm ammunition for use in the MK16 and MK17 Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR).
- Sikorsky’s X2 compound helicopter wins the 2010 (100th) Collier Trophy for aviation achievement.
- USAF Air Combat Command’s new HC-130J combat search and rescue plane completes developmental testing, will begin deliveries in August 2011 alongside AFSOC’s MC-130J Combat Shadow IIs. Both are part of the C-130J Super Hercules family.
- BAE Systems gets GBP 22.5 million contract to provide training support to the Royal Navy’s submarine and mine warfare command team.
- Philippine commission finds a “staggering amount” of fraud in military procurement (and pretends to be surprised). Department of National Defense finalizes measures to prevent further fraud. Color us skeptical.
- The UAE is increasing pensions for military personnel by 70%, and giving bonuses to ministry of defense and armed forces staff, in a move seen as an effort to shore up loyalty.
Categories: Ammunition, ATK, Australia & S. Pacific, BAE, Britain/U.K., Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, Europe - Other, Fighters & Attack, Forces - Special Ops, Heavy Bombers, Helicopters & Rotary, Issues - Political, Lockheed Martin, Middle East - Other, Official Reports, Policy - Personnel, Policy - Procurement, Russia, Scandals & Investigations, Soldier's Gear, Specialty Aircraft, Submarines, Support Functions - Other, Tanks & Mechanized, Training & Exercises, Transport & Utility, Trucks & Transport, USA