Rapid Fire 2011-05-25: Raytheon’s ALR-67v3May 24, 2011 21:46 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
- The global armored vehicle and counter IED vehicle market is predicted to reach $25.1 billion this year, but decline to $24.1 billion by 2021, according to ASDReports.com
- Russian prosecutors are pursuing criminal charges against space officials over 4.3 billion ruble loss of 3 Glonass navigation satellites as the result of a failed launch attempt aboard a Proton-M rocket in December 2010.
- Pressure is building for land assaults on Somali pirate havens. Step 1 in the inevitable renaissance of the traditional “punitive expedition” concept?
- General Atomics delivers the 1st set of EMALS electro-magnetic catapult production components, to equip the new Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier class.
- Alenia Aeronautica delivers a stealth-maintaining weapons bay for the prototype nEUROn Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle to France’s Dassault Aviation.
- USAF demonstrates new C2 forward concept design to improve mobility of the JFACC [PDF] command post using existing technology.
- Lockheed Martin chief Bob Stevens tells media that his company is cutting $500 million in cost, most of that coming from a 26% reduction in senior executive personnel through early retirement.
- Royal Navy leases retrofitted ice breaker MV Polarbjorn from Norway’s GC Rieber Shipping to replace damaged ice breaker HMS Endurance in Antarctica.
- Israel Aerospace Industries’ Bedek division is taking its K-767 multi-mission tanker transport (MMTT) to the global market. They’ll be converted from used Boeing 767-200s to keep the price low. IAI Bedek has already provided 1 to Colombia, and Israel is actively considering one as a combination VVIP plane/ tanker, alongside its KC-135s.
- Raytheon gets $84.7 million US Navy contact for continued production of the ALR-67v3 digital radar warning receivers for American F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, and Swiss F/A-18C/D Hornets. See the linked articles for full details; the Pentagon announced the contract in April 2011.
Categories: Britain/U.K., C4ISR, Contracts - Awards, Corporate Financials, Daily Rapid Fire, Design Innovations, Electronics - General, Equipment - Other, Fighters & Attack, Finmeccanica, General Atomics, GPS Infrastructure, IAI, Launch Vehicles, Legal, Lockheed Martin, Power Projection, Projections & Assessments, Raytheon, Russia, Satellites & Sensors, Scandals & Investigations, Specialty Aircraft, Surface Ships - Other, Trucks & Transport, UAVs, USA