Rapid Fire 2011-08-10: Tactical Tomahawk Maintenance
- The Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) awards Lockheed Martin a $13 million contract to continue maintenance of the Tactical Tomahawk Weapons Control System (TTWCS). Should NAVAIR exercise the three remaining options, the contract value could rise to $50.2 million.
- A leaked report prepared by the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) and Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) says that the Royal Navy is ‘woefully unprepared’ for future operations within the Arctic Circle. There is particular concern that cold weather measures have not been built into warships, including the new Type 45 destroyers.
- The proposed merger between Israel Military Industries (IMI) and Rafael appears to have been cancelled by the Israeli Government, who will push instead for the privatization of IMI.
- Russia is to unveil its first strike UAV at next week’s MAKS 2011 air show. Vega will be showing a mock-up of the Lutch, a UAV based on the Sigma 5 piloted aircraft.
- Russia also announces the development of two new air defense systems. This includes the Vityaz [PDF] a further development of the S-300 medium-range air defense system already in service.
- Italian budget austerity looks set to hit its defense modernization hard, even as the country struggles to keep up with the demands of the war in Libya.
- Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) will unveil its Ghost rotary mini UAV system at next week’s AUVSI Unmanned Air Systems North America 2011 show. The Ghost is designed to provide real-time intelligence to ground forces operating in urban areas.
- China ends months of intrigue and speculation by announcing that its first aircraft carrier has now left port to conduct sea trials.
- With $6,000 and a military surplus FMQ-117B target, you too can build a UAV that hacks phones and intercepts Wi-Fi signals. Bet the paparazzi will love that one. No word from Mr Murdoch yet.
Categories: Britain/U.K., Budgets, China, Conferences & Events, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, European Union (EU), IAI, Israel, Leadership & People, Lockheed Martin, Mergers & Acquisitions, Missiles - Surface-Air, Official Reports, Other Corporation, Other Weapons, Polar Regions, RAFAEL, Russia, Surface Ships - Combat, UAVs, USA