Rapid Fire 2010-11-05: DoD’s Cyber CommandNov 04, 2010 20:32 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
- EU countries are participating this week in Cyber Europe 2010, the first pan-European cybersecurity exercise.
- Up and running: After a month’s delay, the DoD’s Cyber Command is fully operational.
- The same cannot be said about the USA’s RFP to replace its Bradley IFVs, though the rebooted Ground Combat Vehicle RFP will supposedly aim for more off-the-shelf technologies.
- Significant cuts planned for New Zealand’s tiny military.
- Off we go…: The Mitchell Institute for Airpower Studies in Arlington, VA will release on November 10 a database of the full USAF aircraft inventory from 1950 to 2009.
- France and DCNS sign an innovative contract, wherein the French Navy will receive a privately-developed Gowind family Ocean Patrol Vessel to operate for 3 years. The goal? Endorsement and operational success, to boost export sales for the scalable OPV/ Corvette family.
- Russian Rosoboronexport executive denies reports of a Syrian MiG-31 contract.
- Research and Markets: China is shifting production from military to commercial products, with 450 production lines used for defense equipment now producing civilian goods.
- Old-school counterinsurgency planes are getting more popular around the world – and a number of OV-1D Mohawks are available, refurbished and sporting a 30mm chain gun from ATK.
- Accenture wins 5-year, $6.3 million contract, under the $5.3 billion SeaPort-e contract vehicle, to provide hardware and software maintenance for the US Navy’s effort to modernize its ships’ C4ISR systems.
- General Dynamics gets $9.8 million contract from Raytheon to supply composite capsule launch systems for the submarine-launched Tomahawk cruise missile.
- DARPA’s $100 million Blue Angel program testing new approaches to speed up flu vaccine production, hopes to prove out the techniques in preparation for more sinister threats.
Categories: Australia & S. Pacific, C4ISR, China, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, Electronics - General, Europe - Other, Fighters & Attack, France, General Dynamics, IT - Cyber-Security, IT - General, Medical, Middle East - Other, Missiles - Precision Attack, Other Corporation, Policy - Procurement, Procurement Innovations, Raytheon, Russia, Specialty Aircraft, Submarines, Support & Maintenance, Surface Ships - Combat, Training & Exercises, USA, WMD Defenses