UH-60M VIP Helicopters for the UAE
June 24/11: The US DSCA announces [PDF] the United Arab Emirates’ formal request for 5 UH-60M Black Hawk VIP helicopters. The move will bring the UAE’s UH-60M fleet to 45 helicopters, which breaks down as at least 17 standard transports, up to 23 modified and armed AH-60M Battlehawks, and 5 VIP helicopters. It will also keep pace with Jordan’s monarchy, which recently bought a pair of UH-60M VIP machines. With nearby Bahrain as a UH-60M customer, and Saudi Arbia submitting a major buy request for the type, the UH-60M is quickly becoming the Gulf Cooperation Council’s referenceable standard.
The estimated cost is $217 million, but actual costs will depend on negotiated contracts. The complete request involves…
- 5 UH-60M Black Hawks, with VIP interiors
- 12 T700-GE-701D engines (10 installed and 2 spares)
- 6 FLIR Systems Star SAFIRE III day/night surveillance turrets
- 80 AN/AVS-9 Night Vision Devices (probably ITT)
- 6 Northrop Grumman AN/APR-39Av4 Radar Warning Receivers
- 6 BAE Systems AN/AAR-57v3 Common Missile Warning Systems
- 6 Goodrich AN/AVR-2B Laser Warning Sets
- C406 Electronic Locator Transmitters
- Traffic Collision Avoidance Systems
- Weather Radars
- An Aviation Mission Planning Station
- Plus government furnished equipment, ferry support, spare and repair parts, publications and technical documentation, support equipment, personnel training and training equipment, communications equipment, tools and test equipment, and other related support.
The principal contractors will be: Sikorsky in Stratford, CT (UH-60M), and General Electric Aircraft Engines in Lynn, MA (T700s).
The UAE has requested industrial offset investments, but those wil have to be negotiated. Implementation of this proposed sale will require the deployment of a minimum of 2 Contractor Field Service representatives to the UAE for approximately 2 years after initial fielding, to assist in the delivery and deployment of the helicopters.