The F-35 Lightning II is a major multinational program which is intended to produce an “affordably stealthy” multi-role strike fighter that will have three variants: the F-35A conventional version for the US Air Force et. al.; the F-35B Short Take-Off, Vertical Landing for the US Marines, British Royal Navy, et. al.; and the F-35C conventional carrier-launched version for the US Navy. The aircraft is named after Lockheed’s famous WW2 P-38 Lightning, and the Mach 2, stacked-engine English Electric (now BAE) Lightning jet.
This article covers the $300 billion international program’s events, main contracts, and ancillary programs during FY/CY 2006, while the most recent developments are tracked here.
- F-35 Program 2008
- F-35 Program 2007
- F-35 Program: Events & Developments (2006)
- F-35 Program: System Development & Production Contracts (2006)
- F-35 Program: Ancillary and Sub-contracts (2006)
- The F-35 Family of Aircraft**
- F-35 Program: Production Timelines & Structure**
- Additional Readings & Sources**