- 2 Ukrainian Su-25 close support jets were downed by pro-Russian rebels yesterday. Given their flight profiles, MANPADS are a likely culprit. Artillery and rocket fire has also been reported in several places, including coming from Russia according to the (pro-Kiev) Kyiv Post.
- The EU’s foreign ministers met to discuss sanctions against Russia but the Netherlands are stalling as their prime minister wants to recover the bodies of those who died aboard flight MH17 before assigning blame.
- Echoing concerns voiced in Germany, MPs from the UK’s House of Commons want the executive’s arms exports policies under greater parliamentary scrutiny and control. They just released a report [PDF] on this topic. Russia’s RIA Novosti takes their now usual approach by taunting Western powers with their own contradictions: UK Continues Exporting Arms to Russia Despite Call for New Sanctions.
- RIA Novosti also notes that Russia will continue to supply space rocket engines to the US… as long as these are lucrative contracts. Well done, Komrade Kapitalist! Russia is also quick to remind France of its contractual obligations, after President Hollande said he may reconsider authorizing the delivery of the 2nd Mistral ship.
- Ambrose Evans-Pritchard from the Telegraph ties Europe’s lack of nerve for sanctions to the Euro zone’s lasting economic slump. So far it is hard not to conclude that Vladimir Putin is going to get away with murder.
Continue Reading… »