Rapid Fire August 23, 2013: GD OTS Wins US SOCOM GMV Award
“According to military experts, with the formal commissioning of the Izumo, together with two “Hyuga” class helicopter carriers formerly outfitted as destroyers, Japan will in fact have three quasi-carriers. If equipped with F-35 fighters they will become full aircraft carriers.”
- The Philippines want to modernize their military but that is easier said than done.
- 3 Pakistani soldiers were killed by Indian fire yesterday in Kashmir, sustaining tensions revived since August 6 when 5 Indian soldiers were killed in dubious circumstances.
- The US Army is asking contractors what additional information they might need to bid on a potential Armed Aerial Scout (AAS), though they are making it clear that it does not mean they have actually decided to pursue the program. To the extent the government agrees to release the requested documents, they will do so by October in a future RFI amendment.
- Medal of Honor nominee Staff Sergeant Ty Carter, talking about PTSD:
“I didn’t believe it was real until I experienced it. I thought it was just an excuse to get out of duty … but once it hit me, and I realized it, I was blown away. How could I be so ignorant?”
- In the video below, meet the man who cooks roads & chews up concrete in the British forces in Afghanistan. British sappers are taking samples from new roads built with Western funds in Helmand, to make sure they’re properly made: