NDP Reminds US Government that Global Power Comes At a Cost
- The Congress-mandated National Defense Panel issued a report [PDF] criticizing the Pentagon’s 2014 Quadrennial Defense Review for being a strategy driven by budget constraints, a conclusion that could be reached after 5 minutes of scanning through the QDR. Unsurprisingly they complain about sequestration but also point out areas where serious savings should be pursued, starting with ballooning healthcare costs.
- Roll Call: defense industry funds flow to contenders for key House chairmanships. In other words, hedging bets.
- Another cease-fire in Gaza failed within hours.
From Serval to Barkhane
- France officially wrapped up its Serval operation in Mali (recap video, in French) after 19 months. They’re now starting operation Barkhane [in French], with 3,000 men, 20 helicopters, 200 logistics trucks, and other assets across 5 countries in the Sahel.
Better Link-16 for F-16s
- The USAF’s F-16 System Integration Office will host an industry day on August 26 at Hill AFB, UT to improve participation in the Situation Awareness Data Link (SADL).
Remembering the Great War
- The Guardian offers haunting interactive montages that let you click on WWI pictures to see the same places pictured today: Part I, Part II.
- Today’s video shows the US Marines testing unmanned ground vehicles including the LS3 “cow” that could help take load off the back of soldiers. That is a very good goal to pursue, but that cow is really noisy: