Rapid Fire June 11, 2012: Product Support Manager Conference ProceedingsJun 11, 2012 09:50 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
Presentations from the US DoD’s 2nd Product Support Manager (PSM) conference that took place last week can be found here (the 1st conference explained what a PSM is). A few highlights [PDF documents]:
- Nick Guertin, Director for Transformation RDT&E in the Navy, wants the government to “assert and exercise” its intellectual property rights, break vendor lock-in and increase transparency: Competition and the DoD marketplace. Guertin has been working on Naval Open Architecture for years.
- Partnering and Industrial Integration covers several contract vehicles from a contractor’s perspective, including one that may make it into the forthcoming NDAA: Enterprise Performance Based Logistics Contracts (ePBL), Enterprise Public Private Partnerships (ePPP), and Product Improvement Pilot Program (PIP2). The DLA also chimed in on performance-based logistics.
- An annotated outline of the Life-Cycle Sustainment Plan (LCSP) explains how this document should evolve over the life of a program to explain at what level of performance and cost its sustainment should be, and the means to get there.
- Rapid acquisition comes with risks and challenges.
In other news:
- Eurosatory Day 1 link wrap-up.
- Nexter CEO Philippe Burtin thinks [in French] that another wave of consolidation among European defense manufacturers is coming.
- Marinette Marine has been expanding its shipyard in Wisconsin where Lockheed Martin’s LCS are built.
- India’s air force is facing several pressing issues, from high accident rates to officer shortages.