DARPA Robots: Ready, Set, Go!
- DARPA’s 2013 Robotic Challenge trials started today. Here’s a live video feed explaining the obstacles the robots have to overcome, from climbing a ladder to cutting a shaping into a wall and more:
12 Years of DoD Contract Spending
- The CSIS think tank’s latest report charts DoD contract obligations since 2000. Among trends of note, the US Air Force is steadily competing less and less of its business, from about 40% of contract obligations awarded in 2000 without competition, to more than 60% last year. They will probably argue that their contract mix is more technological and proprietary in nature than the commodities bought by DLA, which competes more than 80% of its contract obligations.
US Biz Dev
- The US Navy’s Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center, Pacific (SSC Pacific) will hold an industry day about Unmanned Maritime Systems Support (UMSS) on January 15th, 2014 in San Diego, CA.
- US Army TACOM released a list of subcontractors [PDF] interested in JTLV production.
We Smuggle the Night
- Siarhei Baltutski was sentenced to 15 years in prison for illegally exporting night vision equipment from the US to his native Belarus.