Rapid Fire April 23, 2013: Cyber Attribution
- Discussions about cyberwar doctrine often gets stuck on a difficulty to properly detect the origin of attacks (what’s called the attribution problem). That does not mean such intrusions cannot be tracked down at least by country. A report issued by a team led by Verizon states that:
“For the majority (>75%) of breaches in our dataset, the threat actor’s country of origin was discoverable, and these were distributed across 40 different nations. It’s fascinatingly apparent that motive correlates very highly with country of origin. The majority of financially motivated incidents involved actors in either the U.S. or Eastern European countries (e.g., Romania, Bulgaria, and the Russian Federation). 96% of espionage cases were attributed to threat actors in China and the remaining 4% were unknown.”
- Rolls-Royce is exiting its partnership with Turbomeca on the RTM322 turboshaft engine found in NH90s, British Apaches, and EH101 Merlin helicopters.
- India’s defense ministry is turning its recent indigenisation incantations into formalized policy.
- Should Canada join US missile defense?
- Common finance-driven ways to measure defense spending, typically as a ratio to GDP or public spending, don’t inform much by focusing on inputs rather than military capability for the money, argues Mark Thomson at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.