Sep 17, 2007 15:31 UTC
Kazakhstan Today reports the Russia’s RSK-MiG signed a $60+ million contract at the MAKS 2007 aerospace show to refurbish and upgrade Kazakh aircraft. Reports indicate that the aircraft are 10 of Kazakhstan’s 50 MiG-31 Foxhounds, a derivative of the MiG-25 Foxbat interceptor optimized for high-altitude flight, radar overwatch and control, and cruise missile defense. The planes were inherited from the Soviet Union during its breakup, since they were based on Kazakh territory.
Yet Kazakhstan may be using many of these interceptors for a different purpose entirely…
Continue Reading… »
Sep 17, 2007 14:50 UTC
The United States Transportation Command (US TRANSCOM) Directorate of Acquisition at Scott Air Force Base, Ill. has issued 9 multiple-award, indefinite delivery/ indefinite quantity, fixed-price contracts with a total maximum value of $400 million. The contractors selected will perform international express delivery of packages and letters weighing 300 lbs or less. This is not the same thing as the Defense Logistics Agency’s Small Surface Package Program, or the $2+ billion in annual international airlift contracts issued by the Pentagon over the last couple of years – but some of the companies do overlap.
The initial contract award value to each winner is $2,500, and winners will compete for delivery orders over the contract. This arrangement is a one-year base contract, with 3 one-year options. If all options are exercised, the performance period is from Oct 1/07 to Sept 30/11. Contract funds will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. A total of 9 offers were received, which means that every respondent won an opportunity to compete for further awards. DID will continue to add winners as they are announced; winners include:
- ASTAR Air Cargo, Inc. in Wilmington, OH (HTC711-08-D-0001, announced Sept 7/07).
- Air Transportation International in Little Rock, Ark. (HTC711-08-D-0002, announced Sept 12/07).
- Continental Airlines, Inc. in Houston, Texas (HTC711-08-D-0003, announced Sept 12/07).
- Miami Air International, in Miami, Fla. (HTC711-08-D-0004, announced Sept 12/07).
- Federal Express Corporation in Washington, D.C. (HTC711-08-D-0009, announced Sept 12/07).
- National Air Cargo Group, Inc. in Ypsilanti, Mich. – DBA Murray Air (HTC711-08-D-0005, announced Sept 14/07).
- Ryan International Airlines, Inc. in Wichita, Kan. (HTC711-08-D-0006, announced Sept 14/07).
- United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS) in Louisville, Ky. (HTC711-08-D-0007, announced Sept 14/07).
- US Airways, Inc., of Tempe, Ariz. (HTC711-08-D-0008, announced Sept 14/07).