Rapid Fire 2010-08-18: China Defense UpdatesAug 17, 2010 17:32 UTC
- National Defense magazine: “With Gates’ Proposals, the Edge Of the Perfect Storm Comes Ashore”
- China Resurgent: DoD’s overdue report to Congress on China’s military capabilities says China is beefing up its ballistic and cruise missiles, naval, and air defense forces. Report [PDF]
- Uniformly Profitable: Chinese military uniform maker Jihua Group sees the price of its shares soar by 76% on its trading debut at the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
- Keeping in Touch: Updated CRS report [PDF] details US-China military exchanges since 1993.
- 179th Airlift Wing in Ohio becomes the first US ANG(Air National Guard) unit to convert to the C-27J Spartan.
- Northrop Grumman announces a successful Preliminary Design Review for its US Navy CANES solution.
- China expands military exchanges with Serbia and Bolivia.
- Conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation warns against drastic cuts in US defense budget.
- BRAC base closings can devastate US towns where bases are located. Other locations may open new industrial parks, or take advantage of a sudden airport upgrade.