Rapid Fire: 2011-03-28Mar 27, 2011 21:02 UTC
- DoD is increasing the percentage of the budget set aside for small businesses, according to Pentagon officials.
- The Pentagon has failed to implement a management process for European missile defense acquisition, risking delays and cost overruns, says GAO [PDF].
- South African Hawk Mk120 advanced jet trainers to get the OC4 upgrade, so they can share simulated radar data with other air & surface platforms, simulate the use of infra-red and radar guided missiles, and add digital recording capability.
- BAE Systems subsidiary delivers 1,000,000th SAPI/ESAPI/XSAPI body armor insert plate. Note that a set always includes several plates.
- Meanwhile, Australian Defence Apparel will be manufacturing plate inserts for Australian forces at its Bendigo facility. They’ll fit into ADA’s new TBAS body armor design. The casualty? Plate imports from the USA.
- Russian Slava-class guided missile cruiser Marshal Ustinov expected to be transferred from the Northern Fleet to the Pacific Fleet in 2013, after repairs are complete, says Navy official.
- French land defense market expected to total EUR13.1 billion through 2019, as the French army becomes more integrated and interoperable with allies, predicts Frost & Sullivan.
- Kratos Defense & Security Solutions in San Diego, CA raises $285 million to complete acquisition of Herley, a Lancaster, PA supplier of defense microwave products.
- Afghan Brig. Gen Muhammad Sadiq tells Americans he needs engineers and air support, but his troops can handle the fighting in Logar Province.