Rapid Fire 2011-04-25: Energy Storage SystemsApr 24, 2011 22:09 UTC
- Researchers find that helmets with 1/8 inch more foam padding would offer better protection against soldiers’ brain injuries.
- DoD issues 27 contracts totaling $191 million under the Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative program for academic research projects [PDF] with potential military applications.
- DARPA is looking for industry help in developing “flexible/robust energy storage systems” that can use renewable energy sources for forward operating bases.
- Up to $163 million [PDF] to General Dynamics for demilitarization of 8 munitions families including high explosive bombs, improved conventional munitions, fuzes, Explosive D bombs and ammunition ranging for 25mm to 106mm calibers at the US Army Contracting Command in Rock Island, IL.
- Japan is seeking stronger military ties with the US, says Japanese Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa.
- AME conducts first test flight of Fury 1500 STUAS powered by a heavy-fuel engine at the Fort Hunter Liggett range on California’s central coast.
- Calibre gets contract worth up to $45 million contract to provide IT and program management support services to the Army National Guard’s Logistics and the Aviation and Safety Divisions.
- DoD wants to speed adoption of mobile and and cloud IT technologies, says Chief Information Officer Teri Takai.