- French President François Hollande announced his country would send weapons to Iraq’s Kurds “within hours”. The question is whether they will be the arms the Kurds need: protected patrol vehicles and anti-tank missiles. More small arms won’t make a difference. Official statement [in French] | France 24.
- Talks of providing such help failed at the EU level [EurActiv] as countries like Sweden couldn’t agree [Radio Sweden] even internally on what to do.
- Shi’ite Grand Ayatollah Sistani of Najaf’s theories diverge widely [Boston Review] from the Qom school’s Khomeniism, as he promotes not bringing religion down to the stupidity level of politics. When he does feel pushed to intervene, his actions tend to be defined, discrete, and effective. Former Prime Minister Maliki just had that lesson delivered [WaPo].
- Third World Caliphate, First World Problems: Despite endless free publicity from its massacres, The Islamic State isn’t getting [WaPo] wide adoption of its chosen brand term. On the dark side, its chosen brand core and logo are showing signs of spreading far beyond the Middle East.
- First World City, Third World Problems: with armored vehicles in the streets and tear gas fired at journalists, you’d almost think this USA Today video had been shot during the Arab Spring. No, this is Ferguson, Missouri, one of many American cities where local law enforcement now sports used military equipment.
Continue Reading… »