- Syrian rebels armed and trained by the US surrendered to al-Qaeda [The Telegraph], with armament that may include TOW missiles. These aren’t an international concern, but they will make Daesh more formidable. See DID’s coverage from December last year of Saudi TOW missile sales, including justified stories that the Saudis would be acting as a transfer point.
- The Syrian regime escalates [AFP] barrel bomb attacks [Human Rights Watch].
- ISIS is advertising [Daily Mail] for skilled oil plant professionals. Competitive pay. Experience dodging Paveways a plus. Just try not to miss your metrics, we’ve heard bad things about the exit interview…
- Daily Beast: US Military Hates White House ‘Micromanagement’ of ISIS War.
- Iraq is preparing a large offensive against ISIS that would seek to isolate the insurgents in a few major strongholds while cutting their supply lines, according to the NYT. The US has about 1,400 troops in Iraq acting as advisers at the moment, and that number may rise in months to come.
Continue Reading… »