$49.1M from US, Canada for 160 More Target Drones
Jan 22/09: Northrop Grumman Integrated Systems Sector in San Diego, CA receives a $49.1 million modification to a previously awarded firm-fixed-price contract for another 160 BQM-74E Aerial Targets and associated technical data for the U.S. Navy (153, $46.8 million, 96%) and the Government of Canada (7, $2.25 million, 4%).
Work will be performed in San Diego, CA (31%); Walled Lake, MI (26%); Elmira, NY (17%); Los Angeles, CA (12%); Palmdale, CA (9%); and Mandaree, ND (5%), and is expected to be complete in May 2011. The US Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) in Patuxent River, MD issued the contract (N00019-05-C-0040). See also Northrop Grumman’s Feb 18/09 release, which does not mention the sale to Canada.
The BQM-74E Chukar is a subsonic, subscale, jet-powered aerial target that can launched from planes, ships, or land. It simulates low-altitude anti-ship cruise missiles, highly maneuverable fighter aircraft and attack bombers for weapons testing and training exercises. While supersonic anti-ship missiles are forcing research into comparable aerial targets for realistic testing, very little actual training has been done using that equipment. Since 1968, the MQM/BQM-74 series of aerial targets has provided over 80% of all U.S. Navy “target presentations” – and most of the remaining 20% has been other subsonic drones like the