Rapid Fire: 2010-01-29
- Forecast International: Gulf States will continue to drive Middle Eastern defense spending. See also Documental’s 2008 forecast.
- A Greener American Quadrennial Defense Review?
- From offshoring, to the business case for “backshoring” manufacturing.
- Australia’s difficult FFG-7 frigate upgrade: that’s a wrap.
- Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling wants bayonet training dropped – but the British had to use them in Iraq. See the US Army’s own assessment of that fight.
- Blimpgate? Former USAF official alleges USA was deprived of counter-IED monitoring when a former Space Command General illegally countermanded a direct order by former USAF chief of staff Gen. Jumper.
- More on LPD-17 San Antonio Class failures: full statements from Northrop Grumman & US Navy offices.
- US Navy releases RFP for yet another Littoral Combat Ship program revision.
- Congressional statement of Congressional Budget Office’s Eric J. Labs, on the Long-Term Outlook for the U.S. Navy’s Fleet.
- USAF Gen. Chilton: Space debris “out of control.”
- Japan’s C-X/ XC2 aerial transport flies. See video.
- Canada’s SAR aircraft competition: progress in the spring?
- Russia still trying to develop a MALE (Medium Altitude, Long Endurance) UAV, while hedging its bets with Israel.
Categories: Japan, Projections & Assessments, Russia, Thales, Transport & Utility, UAVs, USA