Rapid Fire 2011-09-25 | CVLSP Draft RFP Delayed; Defense Job Cuts
- USAF delays the release of its CVLSP draft RFP, a platform meant to replace its fleet of 62 UH-1Ns with up to 93 helicopters.
- The US Army transferred the buying office in charge of the Information Technologies Enterprise Solutions-3 Hardware (ITES-3H) competition from the Contracting Command National Capital Region (ACC-NCR) to the Contracting Command Rock Island (ACC-RI).
- BAE set to cut up to 3,000 jobs in the UK? More details expected in the days to come.
- Hedging Pascal’s wager. In case prayer doesn’t do it, a rally to save Avondale Shipyard in Louisiana is set on October 1st. The shipyard is scheduled to close in 2013 after the last LPD-17 built there is finished. Reliability improvements noted by the Navy a case of too little too late given the track record? There are still many jobs at stake.
- Airbus bought 51% in German subcontractor PFW Aerospace said to face a “severe liquidity crisis”. The company manufactures tube & duct systems, cargo loading solutions and metal structures, and lists the Typhoon, EC 135, EH 101 Merlin, and A400M among the military programs it participates in.
- Closet diplomat. The Economist ponders the future of America’s lasting alliances in Asia. Maybe Admiral Lord Alan “We’re Not Bloody Belgium” West could help?
- Stock buybacks: Raytheon, Lockheed Martin.