Rapid Fire May 30, 2013: Group Think Tank Attack
- 4 major defense-focused American think tanks joined forces to weight budget trade-offs for the Pentagon over the next 10 years. They have a clear consensus [PDF] to primarily target personnel, and more specifically DoD civilians, for cuts, whether sequestration is applied fully or partially. 3 of them also seem to really like stealthy UAVs, while AEI likes their stealth aircraft manned (probably a more realistic option given the chosen timeframe) and doesn’t see the same need for a cyber splurge. Surface combatants would also be significantly cut under most of their scenarios. These organizations are possibly starting to think too much alike.
“Historical data reviewed by the working group showed the likelihood of a major conflagration on a ship is low.”
- Russia may ramp up its weapons shipments to Bashar al-Assad’s regime in Syria in reaction to the EU’s lifting of its embargo on arms sales to the rebels.
- Reuters: Nigerian pirate gangs extend reach off West Africa.
- How do you scrap an aircraft carrier?
- Yes, you can train for hypoxia in a flight simulator. As the US NAVAIR video below explains, the priority is for pilots to recognize the symptoms indicating they’re not receiving enough oxygen: