Global Defense Sales in Second Year of Decline
US Biz Dev
- DARPA is organizing a webcast [FBO] on January 6 to present the Fast Lightweight Autonomy (FLA) program, whose purpose is to develop algorithms that can be used to help UAVs fly autonomously in busy environments.
- DARPA is also looking for information [FBO] on composite material formats and manufacturing techniques that may lower costs in the aerospace sector close to those enjoyed by the automotive industry. They’re specifically interested in small and lightweight composite parts.
- Krauss-Maffei Wegmann delivered the first of 20 Leopard 2 A7 battle tanks ordered by the German army. These were initially Leopard 2A6-NLs operated by the Netherlands, which then sold them to Canada, which in turn sent them to Germany because Canada had borrowed 20 2A6M tanks from the Germans back in 2007. Confused yet? KMW [PDF, in German] | Die Welt [in German] | Jane’s.
- On Saturday Sweden’s Ministry of Defense announced that a Russian military jet with its transported off had nearly collided with a Swedish commercial passenger plane taking off from Denmark. The Russians first said their plane was 70km away from Sweden’s, then came up with other more fanciful theories. The Local | Russia’s Sputnik.
- Reuters reports that the Islamic State seized the town of al-Wafa in Iraq’s Anbar’s province.
- Mexican sources deny Iran’s claim that they had expressed interest in acquiring Iranian UAVs.
US Offset v3
- Bob Martinage from the CSBA think thank recently discussed his paper on the need for the US to develop a new offset strategy. Video below: