Rapid Fire: 2010-04-28
- Russian Novator’s promotion of its containerized SS-N-27 Klub-K CMS cruise missiles extend and highlight new dimensions of the terrorist threat as “the ultimate concealed weapon,” offers second-strike for smaller states outside the rules of war, and raises the priority for persistent cruise missile defenses.
- On a related note, the emergence of surveillance-strike complexes and missiles as the new coastal artillery, has far-reaching naval implications.
- Russian president says he’s interested in NATO proposal to develop a common missile defense system.
- Liquid-fueled rockets, or solid fuel? MBDA’s Bayern Chemie says don’t choose – use gelled propellant to get full safety and variable thrust.
- Raytheon and EAI finish ground tests of their TALON 70mm laser-guided rocket.
- 418th Flight Test Squadron paradrops 77,000 pound load out of a C-17A, at 25,000 feet, to test the parachutes for NASA’s Ares I solid rocket booster.
- Supermaaaan! US Army Golden Knight parachutist sets the official world distance record in a wing-suit.
- Picking soldiers’ brains: US OSD wants small business input on cognitive readiness in modern military operations.
- Harris snags a $35 million contract from the Defense Commissary Agency to provide IT support for distribution of commissary goods to US military personnel worldwide.