Rapid Fire 2011-05-04: Missile Defense System in Romania
- US, Romania agree to install European missile defense system site at Deveselu Air Base, about 145 miles west of Bucharest, Romania.
- Biometrics played role in Osama bin Laden identification, says White House counterterrorism adviser; DoD provides background briefing on US operations to take out Bin Laden.
- Northrop Grumman buys $1 billion worth of its stock from Goldman Sachs as part of $4 billion share repurchase program.
- DoD is dragging its feet on developing a life extension program for the aging stockpile of B61 tactical nuclear bombs in Europe, says GAO.
- Tactical Air Defense Services (TADS) in Carson City, NV acquires exclusive use of counter-insurgency aircraft from Tactical Air Support Services, which TADS is in the process of acquiring. TacAir’s training and contract services operates L-39s and CF-5s, and is upgrading an EMB-314 Super Tucano.
- UK opens training center for Afghan National Army personnel near Camp Bastion in Helmand Province.