Rapid Fire 2011-08-12: Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2 Launch
- Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee Buck Mckeon (R-CA) is among senior Republican lawmakers to have written a letter to the White House and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta requesting disclosure of interim results of a comprehensive review of military spending.
- The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) confirms the launch of the Lockheed Martin developed Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2 (HTV-2). DARPA indicates that the HTV-2 reached a speed of Mach 20 and provided nine minutes of data before crashing into the Pacific Ocean.
- DARPA awards a $10 million contract to General Atomics for post delivery services for the High Energy Liquid Laser Area Defense System (HELLADS) Phase 4, Demonstration Laser Weapons System (DLWS).
- The implications of US debt ceiling policies and China’s launch of its J-20 stealth fighter and first aircraft carrier have prompted academics to predict the future shape of the United States’ presence within the Asia Pacific region.
- Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) and fellow members of the Defense Energy Security Caucus (DESC) send a letter to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta urging him to spare research into renewable energy solutions from budget cuts.
- Israel’s Defense Ministry is keen to purchase military equipment due to be retired from service after the US withdrawal from Iraq. Israel’s Defense Forces (IDF) in particular are looking to replace their aging fleet of Humvee combat vehicles.
- Russia is expected to showcase a prototype Sukhoi T-50 fifth generation fighter at next week’s MAKS 2011 air show.
- Ukraine’s Prime Minister says the country may privatize some of its defense industries. However those deemed as ‘strategic defense companies’ are like to remain under state control.
- The US Army awards Cherokee Nation Red Wing a $20.5 million contract to provide helicopter rotor blades, drive mechanisms and components. Meanwhile Sikorsky wins a $23 million contract to provide the US Army with airframe structural components.
Categories: Asia - Other, Budgets, China, Conferences & Events, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, DARPA, Europe - Other, Fighters & Attack, General Atomics, Helicopters & Rotary, Industry & Trends, Israel, Laser & EM Weapons, Leadership & People, Lockheed Martin, Middle East - Other, Other Corporation, Other Equipment - Land, Russia, Specialty Aircraft, Surface Ships - Combat, Think Tanks, USA