Rapid Fire 2010-05-20: AirSea Battle Concept
- US Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessment’s releases “AirSea Battle: A Point of Departure Operational Concept”, (PDF Release | Full report | Slides) describing how the US Navy can respond to growing threats from surveillance-strike complexes and ballistic/ cruise missiles. See also DefenseTech summary.
- Russia, NATO to cooperate on developing a joint tactical missile defense system.
- Is the North Korean Navy becoming more aggressive because… it’s crab season?!?
- Rock phones in development – no, not MP3 players, devices to help troops talk to one another through rock. Good for huntin’ folks in caves, we’re told. Wonder who that might be…
- From Russia, with fuel: Tactical Air Defense Services leases 2 Russian Ilyushin IL-78 “Midas” and 2 Ilyusin IL-76 “Candid” aerial tankers from Air Support Systems to provide US and allied air-to-air refueling services.
- Mark Hamel, who co-authored “Want an Effective Kaizen Event? Don’t Forget the Human Side!” here, wins manufacturing’s Shingo Prize in the Research & Publications category for his Kaizen Event Fieldbook. Congratulations, Mark!
- MuCAR-3 [pdf] robot car could help save soldiers lives. MuCAR-3 Video
- Interview with Raytheon CEO: Defense firm expanding internationally.
- Harris sets up 1st US cyber integration center to provide military and commercial customers with manage hosting services in a secure environment.
- First Giraffe AMB radars pass acceptance testing for Britain’s LEAPP integrated air defense program.
- Investigation underway into a recent engine failure on one of Australia’s new NH90 helicopters.
- Dolphins & sea lions are the stars of the security show, during California’s annual, 2-day homeland security and disaster preparedness exercises.
- Naval Research Lab tests TEPCE satellite that uses electrodynamic propulsion, rather than fuel, to maneuver in space.
Categories: Americas - Other, Asia - Other, Daily Rapid Fire, Design Innovations, Europe - Other, Industry & Trends, IT - Cyber-Security, IT - General, Missiles - Surface-Air, New Systems Tech, Other Corporation, Outer Space, Raytheon, Robots, Russia, Satellites & Sensors, Signals Radio & Wireless, Specialty Aircraft, Think Tanks, Trucks & Transport, USA