Rapid Fire 2010-08-30: Does Insourcing Save Money?
- Yellow Sea Exercises: The North Sea Fleet (Beihai Fleet) of the Chinese Navy plans to hold live-ammunition naval exercises, from Sept 1 to 4, in the Yellow Sea, located between the China coast and the Korean peninsula.
- Set Them Free: Japanese advisory panel to the prime minister recommends lifting export ban on Japanese defense company so they can participate in international projects.
- The US is using South Korean funds, originally contributed by Seoul to bolster joint defense capabilities, to pay for the $9.1 billion move of the US military headquarters from Seoul to Pyeongtaek, according to South Korean government sources quoted in JoongAng Daily.
- Philippine President Aquino is proposing to spend 5 billion Philippines pesos ($111 million) on modernizing the country’s armed forces in FY 2011, including upgrading the air force’s fleet of S-211 jet trainers made by Italy’s Aermacchi.
- BAE Systems opens its new vehicle design and prototyping facility in Sterling Height, MI.
- Former US government contractor Stephen Jin-woo Kim faces US federal charges for allegedly leaking information from a top secret intelligence report on North Korea to a Fox News reporter.
- Does in-sourcing work save DoD money? A Huntsville Times reporter examines the issue.