US Navy to Review All its Port Services Contracts
Looking for More Leonards
Reverse Auction Practices
- It’s not just the Defense Logistics Agency that is using reverse auctions: the Army, Homeland Security, Veterans Affairs, and the Interior do it too. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) recommends that the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) formalize these practices in the federal acquisition regulations, which OMB agrees to consider.
- Aurora Flight Sciences joins Sikorsky as a recipient of a contract for DARPA’s Vertical Take-Off and Landing Experimental Plane (VTOL X-Plane) Phase 1. Each company received an award for about $14M, which leaves room in the budget for a 3rd contractor.
Tech Industry Pushes Back Against Surveillance
- Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Twitter, Yahoo, LinkedIn and AOL have sent an open letter, demanding the reform of NSA surveillance. Compare their demands, which include the end of bulk collection, with the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s prescriptions for reform.
Found in Translation
- Turkey’s TFX: the “ultrasonic” airplane! It defends your airspace! It costs $70 billion! It whitens your teeth!
After Mali, Central African Republic
- France is again relying on foreign logistics support to conduct its operations in Africa: the US is flying French troops with 2 C-17s to the CAR. More than 450 people died in militia clashes during the past few days, on top of reported rapes and looting. Two French soldiers died last night [in French] in a skirmish near Bangui, the capital. The Assemblée Nationale is having a non-binding session on Operation Sangaris today.