Rapid Fire: 2010-09-23
- Big Enough Umbrella: US Secretary of State Clinton and NATO Secretary General Rasmussen call for cooperation between the Western alliance and Russia on a missile defense shield.
- ‘Intersleek’ Paint Job: BAE Systems completes GBP 17.5 million overhaul of the Type 42 Sheffield class destroyer HMS Edinburgh; the ship has been fitted with a new underwater spoiler and a coat of new “intersleek” paint that will cut fuel consumption by up to 15%.
- Slimey Solution: US DoD awards a $29.5 million contract to Scripps Institution of Oceanography and Trius Therapeutics to develop antibiotics from bacteria on the ocean floor for defense against biological weapon agents.
- L-3 acquires 3Di Technologies, a provider of secure satellite communications for forward-deployed US special ops forces and in-theater personnel.
- US DoD explores use of mobile solar and wind generators to produce energy in combat zones.
Categories: ABM, BAE, Biological Weapons, Britain/U.K., Contracts - Awards, Contracts - Intent, Daily Rapid Fire, Environmental, Forces - Special Ops, Fuel & Power, Issues - International, L3 Communications, Leadership & People, Mergers & Acquisitions, New Systems Tech, Other Corporation, Russia, Satellites & Sensors, Support & Maintenance, Surface Ships - Combat, Trucks & Transport, USA, WMD Defenses