Rapid Fire 2010-10-06: Trinidad and Tobago Cancels Patrol VesselsOct 05, 2010 22:13 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
- Changing the Rules: The UK government plans to rewrite the rules governing defense contracts.
- Mexico’s “Blog Del Narco” has stepped into a media void as the go-to publication for Cartel War reporting, used as a source – and a tool. Welcome to the blogging dimension of information war.
- Going Green: US military turns to renewable energy to reduce vulnerability of fuel supply in Afghanistan. Read DID’s “Frontline Commanders Requesting Renewable Power Options” for more in-depth background.
- After a series of construction delays on the GBP 150 million contract, Trinidad and Tobago doesn’t want their 3 BAE OPV patrol vessels any more, even though 2 have finished sea trials. While BAE pursues negotiations with its customer, one observer thinks the US Coast Guard should take a look.
- NATO’s theater missile defense systems are slowly coming together, from ALTBMD to CAOC improvements, and could be upgraded for around EUR 200 million/ $268 million.
- Strategic Buy: FLIR Systems, a Portland, OR-based thermal imaging equipment maker, completes acquisition of ICx Technologies, a supplier of CBRNE sensing technologies, for $268 million.
- Training Wheels: L-3 receives a $91 million USAF contract to provide logistics support for the T-1A Jayhawk jet trainer.
- The Fighting Seabees: Navistar Defense snags $18.9 million contract to supply 38 International 5000-MV [PDF] heavy truck tractors to the US Navy Seabees.
- Northrop Grumman’s AMSEC gets $10 million contract to provide engineering and logistics support to the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Philadelphia.
Categories: ABM, Americas - Other, Asia - Central, Britain/U.K., C4ISR, Coastal & Littoral, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, Electronics - General, Field Reports, Fuel & Power, Intelligence & PsyOps, Issues - Environmental, L3 Communications, Logistics, Mergers & Acquisitions, Navistar, Northrop-Grumman, Other Corporation, Policy - Procurement, Specialty Aircraft, Support Functions - Other, Trucks & Transport, USA, Warfare - Trends, WMD Detection