$30M to Raytheon for SLAMRAAM Long-Lead Production
Raytheon announced that its Surface Launched Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (SLAMRAAM) program has received U.S. Army approval for a long-lead acquisition, not to exceed $30 million, for purchases leading to low rate initial production.
The SLAMRAAM is the Army’s future short-range air defense weapon.
The SLAMRAAM program is intended to replace all the Army’s short-range air defense weapon systems that employ the Stinger missile. The SLAMRAAM system will give the Army the capability to engage targets (including cruise missiles and helicopters) at greater ranges than the Stinger-based systems. SLAMRAAM is also intended to defend against threats from unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and cruise missiles.
SLAMRAAM includes 4 sub-systems:
- IFCS. The Integrated Fire Control Station is a vehicle-mounted shelter with 2 workstations, and is used to control the system. It is currently envisaged as mounted on Hummers, despite their mobility issues on difficult terrain.
- Fire Unit. The launcher. Currently envisioned as being mounted on a Hummer. Most photos show 6 missiles mounted, and reports range from 4-8 missiles.
- The missiles. The same AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles used in air-air engagements. Other countries like France or Israel who have converted shorter-range MICA and Derby missiles for the surface-air role have added fast-burn rocket boosters to boost range and engagement speed. Using the same missile simplifies logistics, at the price of a booster’s benefits.
- The Sentinel Radar. By the ThalesRaytheon joint venture. Acts as the system’s radar, and is described by the manufacturer as “a highly mobile, three-dimensional, phased-array, ground-based air defense radar system that operates in the X-band. It automatically detects, tracks, identifies, classifies and reports airborne threats, including helicopters, high-speed attack aircraft, cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles.”
Additional Readings and Sources
- DID (May 6/08): “SLAMRAAM Program Slammed by Inspector General“