Rapid Fire: 2010-04-15
- US heavily reliant on China for supply of rare earth metals used in high-tech weapons such as radar, night vision devices, and smart bombs, GAO warns. GAO report [pdf] | Bloomberg | TechNewsDaily
- Foreign Policy magazine: “Time Is Of the Essence” to secure nuclear fissile materials around the world from terrorists. Meanwhile, Tehran’s own conference on nuclear proliferation isn’t reassuring many people.
- Fresh out of structural concerns, USAF F-15Cs with new APG-82 AESA radars will now shoulder 50% of the “air dominance” burden, to compensate for the F-22A’s production shutdown.
- US SOCOM cancels FBO solicitation for the Combatant Craft Medium Mk 1, which was supposed to replace naval special warfare’s Rigid Inflatable Boats.
- First 2 Romanian C-27J Spartan light transport aircraft land in Bucharest
- US governors, US reps send letter to Pentagon, USAF chiefs opposing USAF plan to take C-130 transport aircraft from the Air National Guard and Reserves to replace aging aircraft. Governors’ and US reps letters to Gates [pdf] | US reps letter to AF secretary [pdf] | Government Executive
- NSA Director Lt. Gen. Keith Alexander, who appears Thursday for a Senate confirmation hearing as the first head of the Pentagon new Cyber Command, wants overhaul of laws to unshackle US ability to conduct cyber warfare. New York Times | Associated Press | Washington Post
- Pacific shifts: ITT opening offices in Canberra, Australia and New Delhi, India.
- Rolls-Royce completes first 33t Kamewa Adjustable Bolted Propeller and MT30 gas turbine tests for Britain’s Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier.