Rapid Fire 2010-07-19: EADS Eyes Emerging Markets
- Superconductor step forward: USA’s Brookhaven National Laboratory adds insights into the “pseudogap” phase.
- Quantum dots may lead to dark pulse lasers, with applications in atomic clocks and networking technologies.
- European governments look to defense cuts to balance budgets.
- EADS mulls expansion in India, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar, where defense spending is expected to grow at healthy rates.
- Israel is cutting its defense budget for first time in years.
- AVI BioPharma snags US Army contract worth up to $291 million to develop antidotes for biological threats, such as the Ebola and Marburg viruses.
- Space Tracking and Surveillance System (STSS) demonstration satellites, built by Northrop Grumman and Raytheon to track missiles as part of a BMD system, successfully tracked a Minuteman III ICBM.
Categories: ABM, Airbus, Americas - Other, Biological Weapons, Britain/U.K., Budgets, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, Design Innovations, Europe - Other, France, India, Industry & Trends, Medical, Middle East - Other, Missiles - Ballistic, Other Corporation, R&D - Contracted, Satellites & Sensors, Science - Basic Research, USA, WMD Defenses