Rapid Fire: 2010-08-04
- Chinese Exercises: China is conducting major air defense exercises in Shandong and Henan provinces involving more than 10,000 troops from the naval and army aviation units and land-based air defense forces, as well as 100 aircraft, including the J-10 fighter.
- How Many Is ‘Some’?: Boeing plans to keep only “some” of the employees when it moves its C-130 AMP and B-1B bomber modernization programs from Long Beach to Oklahoma City over the next 2 years to cut costs.
- Deeper Cuts: QinetiQ, formerly the state-owned UK Defense Research Agency, plans to cut 325 jobs, most of them at the firm’s Boscombe Down military aircraft testing facility, on top of 391 layoffs announced in July.
- Off-Limits: The 3,500-strong French army continent in Afghanistan is off-limits in terms of budget cuts, says French defense minister.
- Mantracker UK: TV show leads to a personal education from a Canadian cowboy for pre-deployment British troops.
- Bloodhound supersonic car unveiled. No, it won’t deploy to any front lines. But its driving force is an RAF Wing Commander. And it’s a freakin’ supersonic car! ‘Nuff said.
- It’s the human factor. British commando hit 3 times, continues to lead engagement and evacuates his wounded over 4+ hours. Just a reminder that the gear we cover isn’t everything – though Lt. Anrude is pretty chuffed about his helmet…
- When You Assume… : Boston University professor and former US Army colonel challenges assumptions of the US defense establishment in new book.