Rapid Fire: 2010-03-24
- UK parliamentary panel says defense budget gap could reach GBP 36 billion, 6 times the MoD’s estimate. Defense programs could be slashed. Panel report | Reuters | Bloomberg | Telegraph | Daily Mail
- World Trade Organization hands down ruling on Airbus subsidies from 2004 case. Airbus plans to continue launch subsidy practices for the post-case A350, however, lengthening EADS’ odds in any KC-X tanker bid.
- US House of Representatives approves Rep. Skelton’s [D-MO] TRICARE Affirmation Act (H.R. 4887) 403 – 0. The bill explicitly deems that TRICARE and nonappropriated fund (NAF) health plans meet all of the minimum requirements under Obama’s new health care laws, and will not force military families to buy extra coverage or face fines.
- US Missile Defense Agency chief takes contractors to task over quality control, even as review confirms the growing need for ABM/BMD capabilities.
- Israelis finally lift the lid on their G550 Eitam AWE&C/ Shavit ELINT fleet, may have an eye on potential orders from India.
- Lockheed employee says General Atomics has a customer for its “Predator C/ Avenger” jet-powered, high-altitude UAV.
- Israelis going slower on the AirMule ducted-fan vertical take-off and landing cargo and medical evacuation UAV.
- Pakistan tells US it wants more military aid for war on terror. Christian Science Monitor | Reuters | Wall Street Journal | New York Times | AFP | See also “US GAO Criticizes Aid to Pakistan”
- The human element: USAF, Chilean medics learning from each other in EMEDS facility post-quake. US DSCA director is also in town.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers: India’s chili grenade delivers deep kick if dosed. Future versions may offer one hot minute to one big mob.
- General Dynamics gets $37 million contract to beef up M-1 Abrams tank design.
Categories: ABM, Airbus, Alliances, Americas - Other, Asia - Central, Boeing, Britain/U.K., Budgets, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, General Atomics, General Dynamics, Grenades, Helicopters & Rotary, India, Lockheed Martin, Other Corporation, Simulation & Training, Support Functions - Other, Tanks & Mechanized, USA