Rapid Fire 2010-04-16: IMPROVE Act
For more on this and other stories, please consider purchasing a membership.
If you are already a subscriber, login to your account
* Reports that Syria has supplied Hezbollah with short-range Scud ballistic missiles creating ripples in Washington, and beyond. Jerusalem Post | Politico | Voice of America.
* US Defense Logistics Agency replaces Agility as a logistics supplier to US military in Kuwait and Iraq following the DoJ’s extension of fraud indictments to company’s affiliates. Dow Jones | Reuters | Bloomberg | Agility statement on indictment extension
* US House Armed Services Committee targets defense contracting waste by giving Pentagon chief more power to discipline DoD employees, incentives to employees who cut costs. HASC release | IMPROVE Act [PDF] | Reuters | Federal Times
* Naval support vessels becoming more important, as they take on new roles.
* Sweden offers Romania price cuts to take JAS-39 Gripens istead of older US ANG F-16s.
* Pentagon fends off hundreds of thousands of hacker probes of its networks every day, NSA chief Alexander tells US Senate committee. SASC Hearing Webcast | Danger Room
* USJFCOM demonstrates portal to share information across US agencies and US allies.
* Metal cutting begins for Australia’s Hobart Class Air Warfare Destroyers.
* Maintaining the AC-130U “Spooky” gunship.
* Northrop Grumman conducts test of fiber-ready laser for US Army Common Infrared Countermeasures (CIRCM) system to protect rotary wing aircraft from IR guided missiles.