Rapid Fire 2010-05-21: House Approves FY11 Defense Authorization
- US House Armed Services Committee approves FY 2011 defense authorization bill with controversial provisions on F-35’s F136 engine and KC-X aerial tanker procurement, along with strong language re: continued Super Hornet buys. HASC summary [PDF]
- Will new UK coalition government cut Trident nuclear submarine program?
- Serial number on metal fragment sinks North Korea’s claim that it had nothing to do with sinking of ROKS Cheonan (PCC-772), a Pohang-class patrol combat corvette.
- Speaking of torpedoes, Australian National Audit Office report torpedoes their MU90 Eurotorp buy, A$ 397.5 million and 11 years later with nothing to show. In response, the government will… not re-compete or cancel the project. ANAO [PDF] | Australian DoD | Adelaide Now.
- Will Littoral Combat Ship’s cost spawn an export competitor? Israel may become the launch customer for TKMS’ modular MEKO CSL.
- USAF RFI to replace 1950s-era AN/SPQ-166 radars on 76 B-52H bombers. See also Flight International.
- Pakistan receives 2 Bell 412EP helicopters. That was fast.
- Launch of GPS IIF-01 satellite aboard a Delta IV rocket delayed until May 21 due to faulty launch tower equipment.
- DARPA, industry develop robot that can convert shubbery into electricity and travel 100 miles per 68 pounds of vegetation. Ni!
- Azerbaijan, Turkey to hold joint military training exercises and classes.
Categories: Americas - Other, Asia - Central, Asia - Other, Britain/U.K., Budgets, Daily Rapid Fire, DARPA, Engines - Aircraft, Fighters & Attack, GPS Infrastructure, Helicopters & Rotary, Israel, Issues - Political, Launch Vehicles, New Systems Tech, Nuclear Weapons, Other Corporation, Outer Space, Pre-RFP, Radars, Robots, Specialty Aircraft, Submarines, Surface Ships - Combat, Surface Ships - Other, Underwater Weapons