Rapid Fire: 2011-03-23
- USAF F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jet catches fire and crashes in northeastern Libya due to mechanical failure; crew ejects and landed safely in rebel-held territory, before being picked up by a USMC MV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor.
- The UK MOD is proposing to cut 2,000 corporate services jobs and save GBP 73 million per year by consolidating the provision of corporate services under a new Defence Business Services Organisation.
- At the same time, the MOD is increasing the pay for the lowest paid UK armed forces personnel by around GBP 24 million.
- The USAF is seeking industry proposals for a new $250 million reusable booster system for space flight.
- DARPA unveils program to reduce size and weight of advanced optics.
- Telos gets $3 million contract to support the USMC’s Defense Messaging System at 6 area control centers located in the US and overseas.