Rapid Fire: 2011-02-25
- Boeing takes the $30 billion KC-X aerial tanker contract back from Airbus, an outcome that left several observers surprised. More to come on Monday.
- UAE defense contracts announced at IDEX 2011. See the full lists from Day 1 (AED 4+ billion), Day 2 (AED ~4 billion), and Day 3 (AED 3.7 billion). 1 dirhan = $0.2723.
- Russian defense ministry announces 19 trillion ruble ($651 billion) arms procurement program for 2011-2020 that includes plans to buy 100 ships, over 600 aircraft, and 1,000 helicopters.
- Jordan kicks off orders and manufacturing for the RPG-32 Hashim 105mm/ 72mm shoulder-fired rocket system, jointly developed with Russian firms. The new Jordan Russian Electronic Systems Company (JRESCO) facility is expected to have a capacity of 60,000 weapons per year.
- UAE and Russia sign $74 million contract for the modernization of 135 Russian BMP-3 amphibious infantry fighting vehicles used by the UAE armed forces.
- France and Russia are in talks about Russia purchasing Felin advanced “future soldier” system produced by Sagem Défense Sécurité; the equipment includes body armor, ballistic helmet, and portable C4ISR equipment.
- Russia has abandoned its Geo-IK-2 satellite – designed to gather gravitational data to improve guidance of ballistic missiles – which was launched into an incorrect orbit earlier in February.
- China displaying its new LS-6 GPS-guided weapons at IDEX 2011.
- Up to $900 million [PDF] to 11 companies – BAE Systems, InDyne, Johnson Controls, SAIC, Sim-G Technologies and 6 small business qualifiers – to supply electronic security systems to the US Army Engineering and Support Center in Huntsville, AL.
- Also, the US Army Corp of Engineers’ Middle East District is seeking bids to provide Afghanistan reconstruction security support services, including comprehensive security, operations, transportation, aircraft, and intelligence.
- We’ll end on a cheery note, with some fine photos of the 2 Libyan Mirage F1 fighters that landed in Malta, after their pilots defected rather than obey orders to bomb demonstrators.
Categories: Airbus, Asia - Central, BAE, Bases & Infrastructure, Boeing, C4ISR, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, Electronics - General, Fighters & Attack, France, Helicopters & Rotary, Leadership & People, Middle East - Other, Missiles - Ballistic, New Systems Tech, Outer Space, Pre-RFP, Rockets, Russia, Satellites & Sensors, Small Business, Soldier's Gear, Specialty Aircraft, Surface Ships - Combat, T&C - SAIC, Tanks & Mechanized, Transport & Utility, USA