Rapid Fire 2011-05-20: Sizing the Global Defense Market
- Global defense budget is expected to reach $1.1 trillion in 2012, according to ASDReports.com
- Lockheed Martin gets $45.3 million order to upgrade 22 Finnish Army M270 multiple launch rocket systems, enabling them to fire GPS-guided munitions.
- BAE Systems gets GBP 39 million in MOD contracts to improve the intelligence processing capability of the RAF’s Typhoon fighter.
- General Dynamics Electric Boat receives a $33.5 million contract modification to develop advanced submarine technologies for US Navy undersea platforms.
- Northrop Grumman and Georgia Institute of Technology to develop MEMS gyroscope technology for DARPA’s Microscale Rate Integrating Gyroscope program.
- UK uses Roll Over Drills Egress Trainers (RODETs) – armored hulls outfitted like a real vehicle that can be completely rotated – to teach troops at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan how to survive if their vehicle hits an IED.
Categories: Britain/U.K., C4ISR, Contracts - Awards, Contracts - Modifications, Daily Rapid Fire, DARPA, Delivery & Task Orders, Electronics - General, Equipment - Other, Europe - Other, Explosives, Fighters & Attack, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Missiles - Precision Attack, Northrop-Grumman, Projections & Assessments, R&D - Contracted, Rockets, Simulation & Training, Submarines, Support Functions - Other, USA