Rapid Fire 2012-01-24 | FY13 President Budget ETA: Feb 13
- According to Bloomberg the FY13 President Budget submission date has been postponed from Feb. 6 to Feb. 13. Meanwhile House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) is suggesting to chip at sequestration one year at a time if rolling back the whole 10 years proves too much of a hurdle.
- Sen. Claire McCaskill [D-MO] is pushing for FAA commercial certification of a civilian “BC-17” heavy transport aircraft. DoD Buzz doesn’t seem to understand that there’s a significant global market for outside cargo delivery, and that the C-17’s short takeoff & landing capabilities could be useful to industries like mining, that operate in austere locations with smaller airstrips.
- US Army installations get together to share progress toward “NetZero” energy & waste goals.
- The Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI) looks at [PDF] the tax revenue implications of defense acquisition choices and finds that “the tax revenues are significant; they can yield to the Exchequer [DID: i.e. Treasury] over a third of the value of the contract.”
- France just bought [in French] 29 small Cobra Mk2 robots from Eca Robotics in Toulon, for use in finding and detonating land mines.
- US SOCOM’s 75th Ranger Regiment deploys to Afghanistan with GD’s AN/PRC-154 JTRS HMS Rifleman Radio, and Android-based Itronix GD300 wearable computers.
- Even a dying satellite has lessons to teach. GPS-IIA satellite SVN-30 is doing just that for the USAF.
- The US National Weather Services’ Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) is now operational at the NWS Omaha Weather Forecast Office, the 1st of 135 forecast sites to upgrade. It’s a Raytheon system.
Categories: Britain/U.K., Budgets, C4ISR, Contracts - Awards, Corporate Innovations, Daily Rapid Fire, Environmental, Financial & Accounting, Forces - Special Ops, France, Fuel & Power, General Dynamics, GPS Infrastructure, IT - General, Logistics Innovations, New Systems Tech, Other Corporation, Robots, Satellites & Sensors, Signals Radio & Wireless, Think Tanks, Transport & Utility, USA