Rapid Fire: 2010-07-12
- Boeing and Airbus submits KC-X aerial tanker bids, as World Trade Organization delays ruling on EU complaint against Boeing.
- France’s ONERA lab thinks they have a revolution in coastal surveillance radar design (incl. video), with 80% effectiveness out to 400 km range. The rising importance of maritime surveillance would make this a big deal for Thales.
- USAF’s T-38C supersonic trainers getting new “zero-zero” ejection seats. Biggest plus? Saving lives. Unlike the older seats, they’re very effective at low speeds and altitudes, where most ejections take place.
- Money savers: Congrats Rick Griebel on your $10,000 USAF IDEA check, for saving more than $2 million over the next 15 years. His project? An on-demand, custom-size box and filler maker. British civil servant Stacey Cooper saves them GBP 6 million (about $9 million) at Camp Bastion, Afghanistan, and gets… a nice award certificate.
- Afghan Air Force’s new C-27As perform first airdrop.
- Less hopeful: continued delays in Afghan pilot training – but good on Col. Craig Rice for switching in English and professional proficiency training while they wait.
- Babcock completes its GBP 1.25 billion purchase of UK defense firm VT Group.
- UK MOD scientists have developed upgraded Osprey Mark 4 body armor for UK soldiers; the first suits will be worn by the 16 Air Assault Brigade set to deploy to Afghanistan in October.
- In addition, those clever MOD scientists have developed a lightweight battery recharging system intended to reduce the number of batteries dismounted soldiers will have to carry.
- The US Navy has awarded ViaSat a contract worth up to $30 million to provide tactical data links and satellite communications equipment and support to SPAWAR Atlantic and the Turkish government under a Foreign Military Sales program.
- The US Navy has also awarded an $80 million contact to Northrop Grumman to provide infrared missile warning systems and processors for medium and heavy lift helicopters.
Categories: Americas - Other, Asia - Central, Britain/U.K., C4ISR, Coastal & Littoral, Contracts - Awards, Daily Rapid Fire, Design Innovations, ECM, Field Innovations, France, Helicopters & Rotary, Logistics Innovations, Mergers & Acquisitions, Middle East - Other, New Systems Tech, Northrop-Grumman, Other Corporation, Protective Systems - Aircraft, R&D - Contracted, Radars, Satellites & Sensors, Specialty Aircraft, Thales, Transport & Utility, USA